In some ways, this 12 months has felt like a degree of no return — and never simply astrologically. Whereas a number of the extra pivotal shifts of 2023 ushered in technological developments, collective resistance, and freedom, the contractions that got here with these modifications additionally opened difficult, however obligatory, portals for us to maneuver by means of.
On this piece, we evaluate the important thing astrology of 2023, look again at what we predicted in our 2023 Guidebooks, and break down how the 12 months’s most potent transits panned out.
Content material warning: This text mentions struggle, genocide, pure disasters, and different topics that could be distressing to examine. We’ll flag every of those sections as we come to them, so you’ll be able to maintain your self as wanted.
Protests sweep France: January 2023
The 12 months started with revolutionary rumbles in France. Protests in opposition to the nation’s pension reform invoice — which deliberate to extend the retirement age from 62 to 64 — kicked off on January nineteenth and swiftly expanded to incorporate one million folks nationwide. The strikes unleashed widespread disruption, as rubbish piled on the streets and public transport floor to a halt, and pictures of protestors marching on Versailles drew comparisons to the French Revolution of the late 18th century.
- Probably the most groundbreaking astrological information of 2023 was Pluto’s entrance into Aquarius. Whereas the planet of energy didn’t formally transfer into the mounted air signal till March twenty third, its results had been felt months earlier than its actual transition, as a result of Pluto is a slow-moving planet. As we famous in our 2023 Guidebooks, the final time Pluto toured Aquarius was over 200 years in the past — between 1777 and 1798 — when the monarchy was toppled in France. Each the French and American revolutions occurred throughout this era, demonstrating that the world’s strongest establishments are sometimes rattled by the plenty when Pluto is in Aquarius.
- In mid-January, each Mercury and Mars had been wrapping up their retrogrades. Mars’ station direct was significantly intense, because the planet of battle had been elevating ruckus in Gemini for months. Again when Mars was getting ready to station retrograde in October of 2022, 1000’s of French residents took to the streets to protest the rising value of dwelling. The station direct in January of 2023 continued that story.
On January 18th, the day earlier than the pension reform protests started, the Solar conjoined Pluto in Capricorn, forming the final cazimi on this signal earlier than the planet of energy ingressed into Aquarius. Keep in mind: The Solar represents leaders and authority figures, Pluto signifies the swell of change that acknowledges no rulers, and cazimis are inclined to provoke resets. That is an apt mixture, given the problem that these protests posed to French President Emmanuel Macron.
Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria: February 2023
Content material warning: Pure disasters
2023 additionally housed a cascade of pure disasters. One of many first occurred on February sixth, when a 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck southern Turkey and northern Syria. The earthquake killed 55,000 in Turkey and Syria and injured an additional 100,000. It was one of many strongest to ever hit the area, sending tremors so far as Israel and Lebanon.
The scenario in northwestern Syria was significantly dire, the place greater than 4.1 million folks already relied on humanitarian help as a result of ongoing Syrian civil struggle. Communities on this area had been additionally battling a cholera outbreak and a harsh winter, and earthquake survivors had been left to sleep on the streets within the freezing chilly.
Many astrologers have linked Uranus’ transit by means of Taurus to an uptick in earthquakes. In spite of everything, Taurus is the signal that guidelines over the land, and Uranus is the planet of shocks, disruption, and tectonic shifts. So it’s no shock that the day earlier than this explicit earthquake, February fifth, the Full Moon in Leo occurred in a tense sq. to Uranus. The Moon guidelines over the plenty and may act as a set off level for the unfolding of longer transits, equivalent to Uranus in Taurus, which astrologers have linked to elevated seismic exercise. The 2023 Turkey–Syria earthquake was the most important in Turkey because the 1939 Erzincan earthquake, when Uranus was final transiting by means of Taurus.
Silicon Valley Financial institution crash: March 2023
On March tenth, Silicon Valley Financial institution capsized after a financial institution run, making it the third-largest banking crash in US historical past and probably the most critical because the 2008 monetary disaster. As hovering inflation made the requirements of life troublesome to entry, many feared the financial institution crash indicated extra critical market volatility, or the affirmation of a full-blown recession.
- The failure of Silicon Valley Financial institution occurred on the precipice of Pluto altering indicators for the primary time in 15 years. Pluto represents political and monetary energy. The planet shifted from Capricorn — an indication we affiliate with huge banking — into Aquarius — the signal of the collective — on March twenty third, as panic round one other potential banking disaster continued to unravel. A number of information shops drew comparisons to the Nice Recession throughout this time, which occurred to be the final 12 months Pluto modified indicators (from Sagittarius to Capricorn). Pluto will probably be persevering with to maneuver between Capricorn and Aquarius all through 2023 and 2024, so if the powers that be refuse to evolve our monetary methods, the planet of wealth could nicely drive the difficulty.
As we mentioned in our 2023 Guidebooks, Pluto in Aquarius will radically remodel the realm of knowledge know-how as nicely, which incorporates banks and companies linked to the tech sector. This 12 months alone, AI has been a drastically disruptive drive, altering how corporations conduct their enterprise, work together with purchasers, and automate scores of jobs as soon as achieved by people. The SVB crash appears like a canary within the coal mine for the ways in which know-how will form companies, monetary establishments, and society itself as Pluto travels by means of Aquarius.
The signing of Senate Invoice 1580, Senate Invoice 254, and Home Invoice 1069: Might 2023
Content material warning: Dangerous and discriminatory anti-LGBTQ+, particularly anti-trans, laws
On Might eleventh, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis authorized SB 1580: a “License to Discriminate in Healthcare” invoice, which permits healthcare suppliers and insurers to disclaim a affected person care on the idea of spiritual, ethical, and/or moral beliefs. This was one in all a number of payments that raised alarm bells within the LGBTQ+ neighborhood this 12 months.
Later that month, on Might seventeenth, DeSantis signed a slate of anti-LGBTQ+ legal guidelines, together with SB 254 and HB 1069. These payments had been designed to cut back the freedoms of oldsters in marginalized and weak communities. SB 254 is probably the most anti-trans invoice signed into legislation in the US thus far, prohibiting gender-affirming take care of anybody below the age of 18 and limiting entry to such take care of adults. The invoice additionally permits the state to take momentary custody of youngsters who could also be receiving gender-affirming care now or sooner or later. As well as, HB 1069 bans the declaration of gender pronouns at school and seeks to restrict sexual schooling for college students as much as grade 8, together with reproductive well being subjects equivalent to menstruation. Dubbed the “Don’t Say Interval” invoice, HB 1069 was decried as one other instance of the GOP’s try to wield management over folks’s our bodies and promote trans and non-binary erasure.
- Jupiter, the planet of progress, entered Taurus on Might sixteenth. Taurus is an indication that’s involved with all the pieces that helps and nourishes the well being of our bodily our bodies. Left to its personal gadgets, Jupiter in Taurus needs to broaden this assist to all communities. This contains the suitable to bodily well being, security, and sovereignty on the a part of trans, queer, and non-binary of us. However Jupiter had firm.
Simply sooner or later after its ingress, on Might seventeenth, Jupiter fashioned a tense side (a sq.) with Pluto in Aquarius. Pluto typically symbolizes the subterranean forces that prey upon the fears of the collective. In Aquarius — the signal involved with society itself — that may coincide with a need to manage common beliefs so as to wield energy. The difficult aspect of Jupiter? It magnifies no matter it touches — on this case, Pluto. As we wrote in our 2023 Guidebooks about Might seventeenth: “Pluto’s affect has a means of activating worry, and Jupiter can super-size these feelings.”
The WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes: Might – November 2023
2023 was additionally a banner 12 months for collective motion, with unions capturing public consideration (virtually) as a lot as Barbie. The Writers Guild of America (WGA) strike launched on Might 2nd, championing the greater than 16,000 individuals who write the productions we watch in theaters and stream in our properties. One of many areas the strike disputed was the monetary compensation that WGA members obtain when their productions are syndicated, launched on DVD, or launched on streaming platforms. Streaming, particularly, has made it rather more troublesome for writers to be compensated for his or her work or to attain any lasting monetary safety. “No Netflix and chill till writers will pay their payments” learn one of many many witty placards to grace the picket line. Along with success-based streaming residuals, the WGA included vital AI guardrails of their checklist of calls for, asserting that ChatGPT can not write or rewrite literary materials utilized in leisure productions.
The Display Actors Guild and the American Federation of Tv and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) joined the swell of unrest on July 14th. Their union contains roughly 160,000 actors, broadcast journalists, dancers, DJs, information writers, program hosts, singers, stunt performers, voiceover artists, and different media professionals throughout the US. Just like the WGA, SAG-AFTRA’s major grievances centered on know-how’s impression on Hollywood, the issue of constructing a dwelling on meager streaming residuals, and the priority that synthetic intelligence might exploit their likeness with out honest compensation.
- The final time the WGA went on strike was throughout that pivotal interval between 2007 and 2008, when Pluto — the planet of energy — was shifting from Sagittarius to Capricorn. In 2007, streaming applied sciences had been nonetheless of their infancy however they nonetheless introduced a sticking level in negotiations. With Pluto getting ready to re-enter Aquarius, the signal of cutting-edge know-how itself, the AI query has develop into all of the extra pressing and unavoidable.
- The WGA strike launched in the midst of a Mercury retrograde in Taurus (spanning from April twenty first to Might 14th) — proper after the planet of communication joined the Solar in a cazimi on Might 1st. The Solar represents authority figures in astrology, so this second mirrored the writers airing their grievances to the foremost studios represented by the Alliance of Movement Image and Tv Producers (AMPTP). Mercury retrogrades are well-known for slowdowns and shutdowns, so it additionally is smart that movie and TV writing dried up throughout this time.
- Venus — the planet of union — was getting ready to station retrograde in Leo when the SAG-AFTRA strike was introduced. As Leo is the signal of the performer, Venus’ retrograde within the mounted fireplace signal introduced slowdowns to the efficiency business. As we mentioned in our 2023 Guidebooks, Venus retrogrades are occasions after we go inward to reassess our reference to one another in addition to our relationship to artwork, magnificence, and equity. So it’s no marvel that this transit spanning from July twenty second to September third gave voice to a bigger insurrection in opposition to AI’s automatization of the humanities and a need to guard human creativity, authorship, and sovereignty.
- The final time each of those main Hollywood unions took to the picket line on the identical time was in 1960, when SAG referred to as a strike two months after a WGA strike had begun. This joint shutdown began in March, after Mercury had stationed retrograde in Pisces, an indication related to movie and creativeness.
- On September twenty fourth, WGA union leaders and the AMPTP reached a tentative decision, as Mercury (the planet of writing and communication) ready to trine Jupiter (the planet of abundance and equity) on September twenty fifth. The timing is notable as a result of Mercury had simply stationed direct after its newest retrograde, which spanned from August twenty third to September fifteenth. The trine on September twenty fifth was the third and last connection the messenger fashioned to the better benefic on this retrograde cycle, serving to to resolve the shutdowns that began throughout its Taurus retrograde again in Might.
SAG-AFTRA authorized a tentative settlement on November ninth, the day Venus moved from Virgo (its signal of fall, the place it struggles to really feel seen or revered) to Libra (its house signal, the place it has rather more energy).
The migrant ship catastrophe and submarine sinking: June 2023
Content material warning: Lethal accident / drowning
2023 additionally introduced an inflow of seaborne and flood disasters. On June 14th, a migrant ship with roughly 700 migrants and refugees sank off the coast of Greece in one of many deadliest incidents within the central Mediterranean Sea. This tragic incident hardly broke the information cycle, regardless of the gross mishandling of the rescue operation, which left the boat to languish for 15 hours earlier than it lastly capsized.
Nonetheless, the disappearance of Titan, a billionaire-manned submersible en path to view the Titanic, dominated headlines solely days later, beginning on June 18th. On June twenty second, officers confirmed that the craft imploded — one other sobering reminder of the crushing energy of the deep blue sea.
- Saturn, the planet of boundaries and arduous limits, moved into Pisces’ mutable waters in March of 2023. Writing about Saturn in Pisces in our 2023 Guidebooks, we famous: “[Saturn is] right here to deliver some accountability, duty, and construction, however in Pisces’ model — with fluidity… If Saturn builds partitions in Pisces, these partitions are able to bending.”
- Saturn stationed retrograde in Pisces on June seventeenth, charging the planet with further energy. This second additionally heightened its co-presence with Neptune as a result of the Solar squared Neptune on June 18th. That is of be aware as a result of Saturn guidelines over time and mortality, and Neptune represents the boundlessness of the ocean. Neptune can also be recognized to result in confusion and misinformation, as mirrored within the days of uncertainty concerning what truly occurred to the submersible.
- In the meantime, Pluto’s re-entry into Capricorn on June eleventh confronted us with the festering injustices of capitalism and cultures of supremacy, as demonstrated by the instant and elaborate rescue mission launched for a handful of billionaires whereas the migrants perished as a result of comparative slowness of first responders. The cognitive dissonance was actual. Pluto’s underworld journey by means of Capricorn has revealed the complete extent of those institutional failures and the very actual risks posed by persevering with down this street.
- It’s additionally price noting that Saturn is the planet of penalties. And whereas the reason for Titan’s implosion remains to be unsure, Stockton Rush — the OceanGate CEO who was piloting the submersible when it failed — had complained up to now of regulation stifling innovation and progress. Considerations had additionally been raised by an ex-employee who believed the craft wanted extra testing to be thought of protected in excessive depths. As is apt for Saturn in Pisces, it seems that negligence led to tragedy.
The Wagner insurrection and aircraft crash: June and August 2023
Content material warning: Aircraft crash
The Wagner Group, a Russian paramilitary group, staged a insurrection in opposition to Russia on June twenty third, after months of accelerating tensions between the Russian Ministry of Defence and the then-leader of Wagner, Yevgeny Prigozhin. The armed rebellion represented probably the most critical risk to Putin’s authority thus far, as cracks proceed to kind within the weakening regime. Although an settlement to settle the battle was reached shortly after the coup erupted (on June twenty fourth), precisely two months later, Prigozhin mysteriously perished in a aircraft crash, which killed 9 different folks on board.
- Mars — the planet of battle and struggle — in Leo squared Uranus — the planet of insurrection — in Taurus on June twenty sixth, mere days after the insurrection. Navy operations fall below Mars’ purview, and an armed revolt is about as literal as you will get with this side. As we wrote in our 2023 Guidebooks, “When Mars prompts Uranus, the sensation of one thing’s gotta give will attain its peak.”
Mars fashioned a precise opposition with Neptune, the planet of phantasm, on August twenty second — the day earlier than the aforementioned aircraft crash. Although Putin’s swift dispatching of his enemies is a recognized truth, the official reason behind the Wagner Group aircraft crash stays a thriller.
The most well liked month on document and skies darkening over New York: June – August 2023
Content material warning: Lethal fires
June, July, and August of 2023 introduced overwhelming temperatures, wildfires, and swathes of smoke that blackened the skyline of cities throughout the Japanese Seaboard, together with New York. July was the world’s hottest month on document, with warmth waves inflicting extreme harm within the Western United States, Southern Europe, and Asia. The Maui wildfires, which began on August 4th, had been significantly devastating, killing over 100 folks and displacing 1000’s.
- As wildfire smoke turned the skies over New York Metropolis an eerie Martian purple round June eighth, Mars in Leo was separating from a sq. with Uranus in Taurus. Mars represents warmth and irritation, whereas Uranus brings shock and instability. Describing this transit in our 2023 Guidebooks, we mentioned, “When Mars in Leo squares the planet of disruption in late June, it might pour gasoline on the fireplace.” The unprecedented smoke on the jap aspect of North America was one manifestation of this wildcard volatility.
Occurring within the fireplace signal of Leo — and in a difficult side to Uranus, the disruptor — Venus retrograde additional intensified the wildfires, smoke, and warmth waves worldwide. As Venus approached the Solar and entered a situation recognized historically as “combustion,” many people within the Northern Hemisphere felt the flammable warmth all too actually. One in all retrograde Venus’ actual squares to Uranus on August ninth coincided with the peak of the Maui fires, which led to an 11,000+ individual evacuation on the identical day.
Trump’s Federal Indictment: June – August 2023
Returning to 2023’s Venus retrograde story… The planet of magnificence and pleasure had some justice to dish out. Although Donald Trump has lived most of his life seemingly above the legislation, buffered by his immense wealth, cracks started to kind in his home of playing cards this 12 months. A collection of federal indictments, starting from hush-money settlements to the mishandling of labeled paperwork, had been launched in opposition to the previous president over the summer season. And his authorized troubles peaked throughout Venus’ retrograde in Leo — which occurs to be Trump’s rising signal.
- The primary announcement of the indictment, on June eighth, noticed Venus opposing the ruler of the underworld itself: Pluto. Poetic justice, maybe, for the “plutocrat” who used his riches to silence intercourse employees. Venus is the planet that guidelines intercourse employees, and its retrograde journey can contain a reclamation of energy in all Venusian issues.
- A Venus cazimi was seeded on August thirteenth, in Trump’s 1st Home of self, the day earlier than the previous president’s essential Georgia indictment on August 14th. Cazimis are auspicious moments when a planet can infiltrate the temple of the Solar — or on this case, ship a “you’ve been served” discover straight to the halls of Trump Tower. As we famous in our 2023 Guidebooks, “[This] pillow speak between Venus and the Solar might have some shock potential.”
- On August twenty fourth, Trump’s notorious mugshot was launched, after he surrendered to expenses of plotting to overturn the 2020 US presidential election outcome. Venus was nonetheless retrograding by means of Trump’s 1st Home of the self, look, and physique presently — a murky second of publicity certainly. An opposition between Mars (the planet of motion and battle) and Neptune (the planet of phantasm and confusion) was in play the identical day, foreshadowing Trump’s potential plans to leverage his deluded martyrdom right into a 2024 election marketing campaign.
Barbie World, the Beyhive, and the Tayverse dominate the media panorama: July – August 2023
Venus’ retrograde within the theatrical signal of Leo didn’t solely shake up the leisure business by means of union motion — it flipped the script within the incomes clout of feminine artists. Overlook “sizzling lady summer season”; we launched proper into “billionaire fall,” because the trifecta of Greta Gerwig, Beyonce, and Taylor Swift charmed the plenty.
Ladies-led productions earned billions, captivated the media, and remodeled feminine entertainers into economies unto themselves. Gerwig’s Barbie has raked in $1.4 billion (and counting) globally, Taylor’s Eras tour stands to gross as a lot as $4.1 billion, and Beyonce’s Renaissance reveals have been forecasted to generate roughly $4.5 billion for the American financial system by the tour’s finish.
It’s additionally projected that Taylor Swift’s calls to vote on social media might impression the upcoming US election, as her posts proceed to drive voter registration amongst millennials and zoomers.
- Barbie was launched on July twenty first — sooner or later earlier than Venus stationed retrograde in Leo. Venus is the planet related to girls and wonder, and this box-office hit was arguably the aesthetic occasion of the 12 months, prompting tens of millions to descend upon their native cinemas in vibrant shades of pink. From the doll’s origins, modeling femininity past motherhood to younger ladies, to its cultural baggage, centering unattainable, restrictive, and poisonous magnificence requirements, Barbie has pushed numerous conversations about society’s relationship with femininity itself — one other Venusian theme. As a reminder, retrograde intervals encourage us to evaluate and reclaim our relationship with the retrograding planet, which this blockbuster actually inspired. There’s merely no denying that it introduced the mass-market toy and its questionable relationship with feminism into mainstream dialog.
- Venus can also be the planet that guidelines over adornments of all types, and neither of those pop megastars held again of their tour bedazzlement. Taylor Swift nodded to Venus in Leo with a parade of glitzy sequin stage costumes in her Period’s spectacle, and Beyonce channeled Venus’ underworld journey in Renaissance much more explicitly: She evoked a number of feminine deities, together with Venus, as she emerged from a big, mirror-encrusted clamshell, echoing the start story of Venus’ Greek counterpart, Aphrodite.
Catastrophic flooding and earthquakes: July – September 2023
Content material warning: Pure disasters
Along with the earthquake that impacted Turkey and Syria in February, 2023 ushered in additional pure disasters. Dire monsoon rains returned to Pakistan, peaking in July, and resulted in flooding that killed 159 folks, together with youngsters. Then on September eighth, a 6.8 magnitude earthquake hit Morocco, killing greater than 2,900 folks and leaving 5,500 injured. And on September tenth, the deadliest Mediterranean tropical-like cyclone in recorded historical past — dubbed “Storm Daniel” — made landfall in Libya, bringing extreme winds and sudden heavy rainfall. This led to huge flooding and large-scale destruction, which killed greater than 4,300 folks, whereas greater than 8,500 are nonetheless lacking.
After the mud of those disasters settled, shoddy infrastructure was revealed to have led to scores of pointless deaths in each Morocco and Libya. The earthquake in Morocco prompted elevated casualties as a result of lots of the buildings weren’t earthquake-proof and couldn’t maintain the stress, and the flood in Libya occurred as a result of two dams broke as a consequence of stress from the storm.
- In Might of 2018, Uranus entered Taurus, the place it should stay till April of 2026. Uranus in Taurus pertains to an uptick in seismic exercise and different pure disasters, since Taurus pertains to the Earth, and Uranus brings instability. Although Uranus in Taurus is a for much longer transit that may possible proceed to trigger profound disruption to the pure world, Jupiter’s entrance into Taurus on Might sixteenth of 2023 could have elevated the magnitude and frequency of those pure disasters. Although Jupiter finally brings abundance, it might probably additionally inflate the impression of no matter it touches. For good or sick. It’s right here the planet of enlargement will keep by means of Might 2024.
- Saturn within the mutable water signal Pisces, then again, has mirrored the results of floods. As we’ve already explored, Saturn’s transit by means of Pisces has been linked to sorrows unleashed by water. Lower than two weeks after Saturn entered Pisces, on March seventeenth, flooding returned to Pakistan after one other season of document rains. Although the flooding in 2022 was rather more catastrophic, practically a 12 months later, greater than 10 million folks nonetheless lack entry to protected consuming water and preventable waterborne ailments proceed to ravage the inhabitants.
- Mercury (the planet of knowledge processing) was retrograde in Virgo, in an entire signal opposition to Saturn and Neptune in Pisces, from August twenty third to September fifteenth — a interval that encompassed each the earthquake in Morocco and the flood in Libya. A complete signal opposition implies that the planets had been in reverse indicators however not precisely reverse by diploma. As such, this Mercury retrograde uncovered the issues, low-cost building, and shortcuts taken within the infrastructure of each nations — to devastating outcomes. These injustices had been additionally intensified by Pluto’s time in Capricorn, an indication that pertains to construction and foundations. Its lengthy journey by means of the ocean goat has uncovered systemic failures throughout the board.
Hamas’ assaults on Israel, Israel’s siege of Gaza, and the continued humanitarian disaster: October 2023 – current
Content material warning: Warfare, terrorism, settler colonialism, and genocide
On October seventh, the Palestinian militant group Hamas launched a surprising and devastating assault on Israel, ensuing within the deadliest day in Israel’s historical past. The dying toll from the airstrikes and floor offensives reached 1,200, with greater than 200 civilians additionally captured as hostages. Israel retaliated by declaring struggle on Hamas and initiating an entire siege of Gaza. On October ninth, provide strains to the realm had been minimize, depriving Palestinian folks of medical provides, meals, water, and the gasoline wanted to maintain their hospitals useful.
Within the days that adopted, the Israeli Protection Forces (IDF) struck compounds stating that they had been concentrating on Hamas management within the Gaza strip, although rockets rained down on civilian areas. On the time of writing, the dying toll in Gaza has topped 16,248 (together with 7,112 youngsters), and the numbers proceed to rise.
On December sixth, UN Secretary-Normal António Guterres wrote a letter to the UN Safety Council, invoking Article 99 of the UN Constitution — the one device given to the Secretary-Normal to name a Safety Council assembly in response to threats to worldwide peace and safety. Within the letter, he referred to as on the Council to “press to avert a humanitarian disaster” in Gaza and as soon as once more appealed for a humanitarian ceasefire to be declared. Citing the two.2 million Gazans who had been forcibly displaced, the size and acceleration of lack of life, and the specter of illness quickly spreading within the area, Mr. Guterres’ letter was the equal of the UN pushing the emergency button on the unfolding genocide.
We proceed to grieve the lives misplaced, the mindless violence, and the reversal in progress made by Israeli, Palestinian, and worldwide peace activists.
- On July seventeenth, the hungry North Node of the Moon entered Aries — the signal of the warrior — whereas the release-oriented South Node of the Moon entered Libra — the signal of the peacekeeper. This shift has mirrored how peacekeeping has felt like an more and more unattainable mission, whereas violence has intensified.
- Mars (the planet of struggle) squared Pluto (the planet of energy and the underworld) on October eighth — a planetary conflict that may unleash worry, violence, and brutality. This side additionally mirrored the decades-long energy battle that dates again to the Nakba of 1948. The phrase Nakba is Arabic for “disaster.” It refers back to the expulsion and bloodbath of Palestinian folks in the course of the 1948 Arab–Israeli Warfare, when Israeli forces destroyed over 500 Palestinian villages, killed 15,000 civilians, and compelled 800,000 Palestinians to uproot and flee — which simply so occurred to happen concurrently a collection of eclipses in Taurus close to the North Node, simply as we skilled in 2023 on Might fifth and October twenty eighth.
- On October 14th, a photo voltaic eclipse close to the South Node — a degree that represents launch and letting go — occurred in Libra. Round this date, Palestinian civilians got a meager 24 hours to evacuate the North of Gaza, which was a dying sentence for a lot of. Within the meantime, Israel continued to chop off Gaza’s water, meals, electrical energy, and drugs, in violation of worldwide legislation. Three days after the eclipse, on October seventeenth, an airstrike focused the al-Ahli Hospital in Gaza, killing 471 and injuring greater than 300.
- On October twenty eighth, a lunar eclipse close to the North Node occurred in Taurus because the dying toll and land dispossession in Palestine continued to surge. This eclipse mirrored the overall photo voltaic eclipse that came about close to the North Node in Taurus on Might ninth, 1948 — simply six days earlier than the Arab–Israeli Warfare and ensuing Nakba started. As a reminder: Venus guidelines Taurus eclipses, so whereas struggle threatens to set off a bigger regional battle, Venus’ aspiration is peace, equity, and liberty for all. An answer to this seemingly intractable battle rests on the planet’s arts of diplomacy and negotiation, in addition to its capability to heart our frequent humanity as a substitute of upholding the poisonous fantasy of borders, supremacy, and retaliatory sieges that solely wage additional violence.
- On December sixth, the identical day that Article 99 was put to the UN, Neptune — the planet of goals — stationed direct in Pisces. Each time a planet stations in our skies, its symbolic energies saturate our planet. Neptune in Pisces’ highest aspiration is to heart our frequent humanity (even when which means we’re united in our grief) and remind us of the true boundlessness of our collective cloth, which is aware of no borders.
- Mercury (the messenger) additionally trined Jupiter (the humanitarian) on December sixth, suggesting that Guterres’ pressing attraction to the UN might result in a constructive consequence or set the stage for additional diplomatic efforts. Although Article 99 calls for dialogue, presents information, and encourages events to kind a consensus (Jupiter is the planet of cohesion, in spite of everything), passing a decision requires that the 5 everlasting members not veto it.
The place we go from right here
As we proceed to transition into the Pluto in Aquarius epoch in 2024, the facility of our collective resistance has by no means felt extra pressing. Solely by coming collectively will we dismantle the governments, regimes, poisonous capitalist practices, and colonial powers that feed on worry, anguish, rage, and despair. 2023 reminded us of our fragility in opposition to the violence of exterior forces seemingly outdoors our management — however this 12 months has additionally revealed what’s sacred about our lives, which incorporates our reference to one another.
Learning astrological transits in opposition to the backdrop of main occasions is without doubt one of the greatest methods to acknowledge the cycles that we live inside. Cycles of violence, hate, and greed, but in addition the cycles of people that rally in opposition to these patterns. The generations who’ve at all times united in refusal, with the savviest methods of subverting the powers that be. Like patterns in human historical past, astrology at all times repeats itself — although barely in a different way every time. That’s as a result of the planets and factors comply with a clockwork orbit of the Solar. By understanding what tends to occur on Earth throughout sure astrological transits, we develop into extra conscious of our personal tendencies and traps — in addition to our capability to beat them.
2023 has left us with a transparent name to motion. The results of local weather change have by no means been starker. The horrors of world battle are flooding our information feeds in actual time. Propaganda and misinformation are spreading with lightning velocity. And individuals are extra polarized than ever. In these occasions of division, we should learn to regulate our methods collectively. Buried inside this volatility and despair, there’s a chance to redirect our lives. To double down on creating communities of collaboration and care. To reside in reciprocity with the Earth. To hone the artwork of diplomacy. And to increase compassion to all.
For an in-depth take a look at subsequent 12 months’s principal occasions, try Your 2024 Guidebook.
Thanks for being right here. We’re wishing you a protected, hopeful, and affluent 2024.
In search of extra intel? Learn your day by day horoscope: