India’s variety presents itself in numerous stunning festivals, customs, traditions, and tradition. Each area in India celebrates its competition with pomp and gaiety stuffed with brilliant colours, lights, and firecrackers. Watching these festivals, customs, and traditions fills us with positivity and happiness. One such competition is Thaipusam which is widely known by the Tamil neighborhood on the complete moon day within the Tamil month of Thai which corresponds both in January or February. This competition coincides with the Pushya star (also called Poosam in Tamil and Pooyam in Malayalam). The competition can also be celebrated in some elements of Kerala and is popularly generally known as Thaipooyam. Moreover India, this competition can also be noticed in numerous different nations the place there’s a sizeable presence of Tamil neighborhood like Sri Lanka, Singapore, Malaysia, Mauritius, South Africa, Canada, Indonesia, Myanmar, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana, Suriname, Jamaica and the opposite elements of the Caribbean.
The title Thaipusam combines the names of the month (Thai) and the star (Pusam or Pushya). Throughout this competition, the Pushya star is at its peak. This Hindu competition commemorates Lord Subramaniam’s victory over the asura (demon) Soorapadman and his brothers with the Vel (spear) given by Goddess Parvathi. On Thaipusam, devotees worship Lord Murugan (the opposite title of Lord Subramaniam), to realize his blessings and to destroy all of the evil and dangerous traits of their life. On at the present time, Lord Murugan’s picture is adorned and positioned on a silver chariot, and brought in a procession. Lord Subramaniam is taken into account an embodiment of advantage, bravery, youth, and wonder, and can also be believed to grant favors. Devotees pledge their devotion and to show their gratitude to the Lord, they endure self-mortification on at the present time. Some devotees additionally consider Thaipusam marks the delivery of Lord Murugan; nonetheless, different sources advocate that Lord Murugan was born on Vaikhasi Vishakam, which falls within the Vaikashi month.
Significance of Thaipusam 2024
Thaipusam is widely known as a day of penance and thanksgiving to Lord Murugan (also called Skanda, Karthikeya, and Subramaniam) for answering their prayers and granting them their needs. To meet one’s needs it is very important pay for previous sins. Usually, upon success of their needs or needs, the devotees vow to hold the kavadi for a interval of 1, three, or 5 years in a row. These needs might vary from praying for offspring, success, and victory in lecturers or enterprise, and even being cured of great sicknesses. Thaipusam competition witnesses a number of rituals and colourful parades accompanied by drums and chanting. The competition of Thaipusam 2024 is widely known with gaiety in all of the six temples devoted to Lord Murugan.
Get Your Yearly Horoscope 2024
When is Thaipusam 2024?
Thaipusam 2024 Date and Thaipusam Timings are given as follows,
Thaipusam 2024 – Thursday, twenty eighth of January
- Dawn January 26, 2024, 7:13 AM
- Sundown January 26, 2024, 6:05 PM
- Poosam Nakshathram Begins January 25, 2024, at 8:16 AM
- Poosam Nakshathram Ends January 26, 2024, at 10:28 AM
The Kavadi Attam
The Kavadi Attam or burden dance is a devotional act of sacrifice within the type of dance, meals choices, and self-mortification. The kavadi consists of a semi-circular cover superbly adorned with photos of Lord Murugan, flowers, peacock feathers, and different ornamental articles and is carried on the shoulders of the temple. The devotees carry out the nadai payanam with naked ft with meals choices on the Kavadi.
The stroll to the temple might final greater than per week relying on the situation of the temple. The Palani Murugan temple is without doubt one of the hottest locations and is taken into account a spot of therapeutic. It’s believed that the statue of Lord Murugan at Palani was created by Bogar, an historic Siddhar and devotee of Lord Murugan, with a mix of quite a few Siddha medicines.
The closely and intricately adorned kavadis are connected to the devotees with sharp skewers symbolizing the burdens carried by the devotees. The most important kavadi, also called vel kavadi, requires the devotee to be pierced with 108 small spears (vels).
The worshipers pierce their tongues, cheeks, and faces with sharp spears and are sometimes pushed right into a trance-like state with chanting and drums. They typically pierce their tongues and pin them by the cheeks which symbolizes that the devotee has given up his reward of speech.
Test love compatibility stage together with your companion. It’s FREE
What are the rituals of Thaipusam/Thaipooyam?
- Devotees of Thaipusam put together 48 hours upfront by fasting and prayer. The kavadi-bearers carry out elaborate rituals on the time of choosing the kavadi and making choices to Lord Murugan. They’re required to follow celibacy and devour solely pure, saatvik meals as soon as in the course of the day. The kavadi-bearers should stay a strict life denouncing all worldly actions and are required to decorate up in yellow or orange clothes. Throughout this time, the devotees should wash with chilly water solely and a few may select to sleep on the ground.
- On the day of Thaipusam, the devotees shave their heads symbolizing the elimination of ego/delight. They submit their crown (hair) to the lord within the ritual generally known as mudi erakuthal earlier than enterprise the pilgrimage to the temple whereas partaking in numerous acts of devotion, like carrying kavadi. Carrying a pot of milk is the best type of kavadi. The intense type contains self-mortification by piercing the tongue cheeks, or pores and skin with vel skewers of varied configurations and dimensions. The act of piercing the vel by the tongue or cheek reminds the devotees consistently about Lord Murugan and in addition prevents them from talking, which in flip requires immense endurance.
- Upon reaching the pilgrimage web site, the kavadi-bearers lay down their kavadi and supply honey and milk which is poured on the deity symbolizing a type of thanksgiving. Devotees then supply yellow fruits and flowers to Lord Murugan. The metallic implements used for self-mortification are then instantly eliminated and the injuries are handled with scorching ash. It’s shocking to notice that the devotees present no signal of ache, blood, or scarring as soon as the vels are eliminated. This reinforces the ability of Lord Murugan within the minds of the devotees.
Legend of Lord Murugan and Soorapadman
Soorapadman was an asura born to the asura rishi Vajranaga and Varangi, an apsara. The couple had three sons and two daughters, after which Rishi Vajranaga went into meditation for hundreds of years. Soorapadman carried out a really lengthy penance to Lord Shiva and was granted a boon by Lord Shiva that nobody besides Lord Shiva’s offspring born with out Shiva’s union with a feminine, in any nature, might kill or defeat him.
Soorapadman quickly went across the mortal world-conquering it by warfare or by subjugation. Scriptures state that when Soorapadman tried to elevate Mount Kailash, nonetheless, Lord Shiva pushed the mountain again into place and trapped Soorapadman beneath the mountain. The imprisoned Soorapadman recited the Shiva Tundan (hymns of Lord Shiva) in reward of Lord Shiva for hundreds of years.
On account of his prayers, Lord Shiva finally blessed him and granted him an invincible sword and Atmalinga, a robust linga to worship. Soorapadman then established an empire named Veera Mahendrapuri and distributed elements of his huge empire to his brothers. In the meantime, his sister tries to get Indrarani as a mistress for Soorapadman. However a guard of Indrarani amputates the arm of Soorapadman’s sister. Angered by this, Soorapadman conquered heaven, imprisoned all devas, and tortured them.
Devas who escaped from Soorapadman approached Lord Shiva and sought his assist in vanquishing Soorapadman. Lord Shiva creates his son, Lord Murugan from the flames of his brow. Lord Murugan marches towards Veera Mahendrapuri and vanquishes Soorapadman’s brothers Tarakasura and Simhamukha. He then graces Simhamukha to turn into his lion. Soorapadman refuses to give up and within the last battle that ensues, Lord Murugan mortally wounds Soorapadman along with his spear and Soorapadman asks for his glory to be spared. Lord Murugan grants his want offered Soorapadman turns into his vahana (automobile) eternally. Soorapadman assumes the type of a peacock and turns into Lord Murugan’s automobile.
Soorapadman’s killing is widely known with nice pomp as Surasamharam in Tiruchendur, which is taken into account to be the ultimate battleground of Lord Murugan and Soorapadman.
உங்கள் தமிழ் ஜாதகத்தை முற்றிலும் இலவசமாகப் பெறுங்கள்
Thaipusam Pageant Dates from 2024 to 2028
- 2024 Friday, twenty sixth of January
- 2025 Tuesday, eleventh of February
- 2026 Sunday, 1st of February
- 2027 Saturday, twenty third of January
- 2028 Wednesday, ninth of February